Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-582

 

LST-582 was laid down on 18 May 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 1 July 1944; sponsored by Miss Isabel Daniel; and commissioned on 31 July 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-582 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late January 1946. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 24 May 1948, she was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., of Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.

 

LST-582 earned one battle star for World War II