LST-581 was laid down on 17 May 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 29 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Jack Rogers; and commissioned on 27 July 1944, Lt. 0. F. Rapelyea in command.
During World War II, LST-581 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late January 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 28 January 1946 and transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 where she served as LST-581 until struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1972. On 25 May 1973, LST-581 was sold to Dongkuk Steel Co. of America, Inc., Los Angeles, Calif., for scrapping.
LST-581 earned one battle star for World War II service.