LST-579 was laid down on 4 May 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 22 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Mary Ellen Bonk; and commissioned on 21 July 1944, Lt. Hugh B. Severs, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-579 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landings—November 1944 Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945 Mindanao Island landings—March and April 1945 Balikpapan operation—June and July 1945 Following the war, LST-579 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She was decomissioned on 24 February 1946. On 31 March 1952, the ship was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service where she operated as USNS LST-579.
LST-579 earned four battle stars for World War II