LST-578 was laid down on 4 May 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 19 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. A. B. Morris; and commissioned on 15 July 1944, Lt. D. C. Wooldridge in command.
During World War II, LST-578 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landings—November 1944 Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945 Mindanao Island landings—March and April 1945 Following the war, LST-578 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-March 1946. She was decommissioned on 22 March 1946 and transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 where she operated as USNS LST-578.
LST-578 earned three battle stars for World War II service.