LST-563 was laid down on 4 March 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 1 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. N. E. Senescall; and commissioned on 20 May 1944, Lt. J. B. Hockswender, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-563 was grounded on Clipperton Island in the eastern Pacific, 670 miles southwest of Mexico, on 21 December 1944 and suffered extensive damage. After numerous unsuccessful at- tempts to free her, LST-563 was stripped and abandoned on 9 February 1945. She was struck from the Navy list on 23 February 1945.