LST-562 was laid down on 28 February 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 28 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. D. A. Nordeen; and commissioned on 18 May 1944.
During World War II, LST-562 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Morotai landings in September 1944 and the Tarakan Island operation in April and May 1945.
Following the war, LST-562 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She was decommissioned on 21 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 19 April 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-562 earned two battle stars for World War II service.