LST-559 was laid down on 14 February 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 18 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Carl J. Futter; and commissioned on 9 May 1944, Lt. Richard T. Smith, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-559 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945
Following the war, LST—559 performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until mid-May 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 1 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June that same year. On 5 December 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines.
LST-559 earned four battle stars for World War II service.