LST-554 was laid down on 30 January 1944 at Evans-ville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 18 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. T. R. Davis; and commissioned on 27 April 1944.
During World War II, LST-554 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landings—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945
LST-554 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 20 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September 1946. On 29 March 1948, the ship was sold to Kaiser, Inc., of Vancouver, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-554 earned four battle stars for World War II service.