Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-553

 

LST-553 was laid down on 24 January 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Co.; launched on 16 March 1944; sponsored by Miss Agnes L. Maulding; and commissioned on 22 April 1944, Lt. John K. Alegeo in command.

 

During World War II, LST-553 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944

Leyte landings—October and November 1944

Lingayen Gulf landings—January 1945

Zambales-Subic Bay—January 1945

Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April through June 1945

 

Following the war, LST-553 conducted minesweeping operations in the waters surrounding the Japanese home islands as well as occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1947. She was decommissioned on 13 February 1947 and transferred to the U.S. Army at Yokohama, Japan. On 25 April 1947, the ship was struck from the Navy list.

 

LST-553 earned five battle stars for World War II service.