Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-552

 

LST-552 was laid down on 19 January 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 14 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Robert A. Burns; and commissioned on 19 April 1944, Lt. R. E. Sandvigen in command.

 

During World War II, LST-552 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944

Leyte landings—October and November 1944

Zambales-Subic Bay—January 1945

Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945

 

Following the war, LST-552 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 19 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 May that same year. On 3 November 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to Dulien Steel Products, Inc., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.

 

LST-552 earned four battle stars for World War II service.