LST-551 was laid down on 15 January 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 11 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. H. Edward Lannan; and commissioned on 14 April 1944.
During World War II, LST-551 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, LST-551 performed occupation service in Europe until early July 1945. The ship then performed post-World War II service with Commander, Amphibious Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet until she was decommissioned on 10 June 1955.
On 1 July 1955, LST-551 was redesignated Chesterfield County (LST-551) after counties in South Carolina and Virginia. She was recommissioned on 21 December 1965 and operated off Vietnam in 1966 and 1967. Decommissioned once again, she was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1970 and sold to Mitsui and Co., Japan, in February 1971 for scrapping.
LST-551 earned one battle star for World War II service and two for Vietnam service.