Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Pleasant

 

(Str: t. 1,344; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 19'9"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Pleasant, a cargo ship, was launched under USSB contract 4 July 1918 by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ashtabula, Ohio; acquired by the Navy 8 September 1918; and commissioned the same day at Montreal, Lt. Comdr. Edwin L. Foster, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Lake Pleasant departed Montreal 14 September for Sydney, Nova Scotia, where she joined a convoy the 22d and arrived Brest, France, 5 October. During the next 7 months she operated as a coal transport out of Cardiff, Wales, on cross-channel runs between British and French ports.

 

Lake Pleasant departed Cardiff 14 June 1919 with 1,092 tons of Army air service cargo. Arriving Norfolk 2 July, she decommissioned 8 July and was returned to USSB the same day. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and scrapped.