Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Pewaukee

 

A lake in Wisconsin.

 

(Str: t. 1,284; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 19'8"; s. 10.3 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Pewaukee, a cargo ship, was launched under USSB contract 25 February 1918 by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., Manitowoc, Wis.; operated as an Army cargo transport until acquired by the Navy and commissioned 7 September 1918 at Brest, France, Lt. T. Cartwright, USNRF, in command.

 

Operating out of Cardiff, Wales, Lake Pewaukee was assigned to NOTS as a coal transport between British and French ports. After the Armistice, she departed Brest 19 February 1919 with 600 tons of Army cargo. Arriving New York 11 March, she decommissioned 22 March and was returned to USSB the same day. In 1927 she was sold to the Ford Motor Co. and scrapped.