Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Pepin

 

Lakes In Minnesota and Wisconsin.

 

(Str: t. 1,172; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 17'7"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Pepin, a cargo ship, was launched in 1918 by McDougal Duluth Shipbuilding Co., Duluth, Minn.; acquired by the Navy; and commissioned at Montreal 4 September 1918. Lt. Comdr. C. G. Laird, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Lake Pepin operated as a coal transport out of Cardiff, Wales, making cross-channel coal runs between British and French ports until 16 May 1919, when she left St. Nazaire, France, with 2,000 tons of Army ordnance bound for the United States. Arriving New York 10 June, Lake Pepin decommissioned on the 18th and was returned to USSB the same day. She was sold in 1923 to Hammond Lumber Co., Inc., of San Francisco and renamed Samoa.