Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Osweya

 

(Str: t. 1,432; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 20'7"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Osweya, a cargo ship, was launched 20 July 1918 by Saginaw Shipbuilding Co., Saginaw, Mich.; acquired by the Navy and commissioned at Montreal 17 October, Lt. Comdr. L. C. Weith, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Lake Osweya departed Sydney, Nova Scotia 9 November, arriving St. Nazaire, France on the 24th. She operated as a coal transport out of Cardiff, Wales, making cross-channel runs between British and French ports, until 17 July 1919 when she failed for the United States. After arriving New York, Lake Osweya decommissioned 7 August and was returned to USSB the same day.