The second largest of the Great Lakes in North America.
(Str: t. 1,267; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 18'7"; s. 9.5 k.; cpl. 64; a. 1 5", 1 3")
Lake Huron, formerly War Hound, a cargo ship, was launched 1917 by the Chicago Shipbuilding Co., Chicago; acquired by the Navy, and commissioned at Norfolk 11 January 1918, Lt. Comdr. Harry L. Chick, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Lake Huron loaded a cargo of mines to be used in the North Sea mine barrage, and sailed for England 19 February 1918. She made two additional cruises from Norfolk to United Kingdom ports, transporting mines and general cargo until after the Armistice. Departing Kirkcaldy, Scotland 17 December, the mine carrier arrived Norfolk 15 January 1919. Lake Huron decommissioned there 24 February and was returned to USSB the same day. In 1921 she was sold to Lloyd Royal Beige and operated out of Antwerp as Serbier.