Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Helen

 

A town in northeast Florida 20 miles southwest of Daytona Beach.

 

(Str: t. 1,179; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 17'7"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 56; a. 13")

 

Lake Helen was launched 1918 by the McDougal Duluth Co., Duluth, Minn.; acquired by the Navy and commissioned at Montreal 10 October 1918, Lt. Comdr. O. F. Schroder, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Lake Helen operated as a coal transport out of Cardiff, Wales. She continued the cross-channel runs between British and French ports until 12 July 1919 when she departed St. Nazaire with 5,000 tons of Army ordnance bound for New York. Arriving there on the 26th, Lake Helen decommissioned 7 August and was returned to USSB the same day. In 1926 she was sold to Merchants & Miners Corp., and renamed York. In 1929 she was sold to the Norwegian firm, A/S Skogvik, and operated under Norwegian papers as Skogvik. In 1933 she was sold to the Soviet Union and renamed Kama and operated out of Leningrad.