Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Frances

 

A lake in northern Montana.

 

(Str: t. 1,190; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 19'; s. 10.5 k.; cpl. a. 1 4")

 

Lake Frances waslaunched 1918 by the Toledo Shipbuilding Co., Toledo, Ohio; acquired by the Navy at Montreal, 1 August 1918 and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. Fred W. Davis, USNRF, in command.

 

Departing Sydney, Nova Scotia, 20 August 1918, Lake Frances sailed to European waters for duty as a coal transport in NOTS. Based at Cardiff, Wales, she shuttled between British and French ports until the summer of 1919. Lake Frances departed Cardiff 27 August, arrived New York 14 September, decommissioned on the 23d, and was returned to the USSB the same day. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and 2 years later owned by Frank Paramino of San Francisco.