Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Fernwood

 

(Str: t. 1,245; l. 2611; b. 43'6"; dr. 17'6"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 52; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Fernwood was launched 4 May 1918 by the American Shipbuilding Co., Lorraine, Ohio; acquired by the Navy at Brest, France, 23 September and commissioned 27 September 1918, Lt. Comdr. Walter N. Beckwith, USNRF, in command.

 

Operating out of Cardiff, Wales, Lake Fernwood was assigned to NOTS as a coal transport between British and French ports. After the Armistice, she steamed from Newport, England, 22 February 1919 with 700 tons of Army stores, arriving Philadelphia 16 March. Sailing to New York 3 weeks later, she decommissioned 9 April and was returned to the USSB the same day. She was sold in 1923 to the Richmond New York S.S. Co., and renamed Virginia Despatch.