Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Elsinore

 

A lake in Riverside County, southern California.

 

(Str: t. 1,435; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 19'8"; s. 9.5 k.: cpl. 52; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Elsinore, a cargo ship, was launched 20 July 1918 under USSB contract by American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, Ohio; taken over by the Navy 13 September 1918 at Montreal, Canada; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. G. E. Wiebe, USNRF, in command.

 

Departing Montreal 17 September, Lake Elsinore steamed from Sydney, Nova Scotia, 8 October and reached Nantes, France, 21 October. Assigned to NOTS, she served as a coal transport between British and French ports and completed coaling runs 3 May 1919. Transferred to Army account, she operated as a cargo transport along the French coast, then departed St. Nazaire, France, for the United States 10 September. Carrying Army supplies, she reached New York 25 September; decommissioned 4 October; and was returned to USSB the same day. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and scrapped.