Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Elizabeth

 

(Str: t. 1,378; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 19'8"; s. 10k; cpl. 52; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Elizabeth, a cargo ship, was launched 12 December 1917 under USSB contract by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Escorse, Mich.; operated by USSB as an Army cargo transport; taken over by the Navy and commissioned 26 September 1918 at Brest, France, Lt. Comdr. Edward R. Bergh, USNRF, in command.

 

Operating out of Cardiff, Wales, Lake Elizabeth was assigned to NOTS as a coal transport between British and French ports.

 

After the Armistice, she carried Red Cross supplies to countries in the Mediterranean. Departing Cardiff 15 March 1919, she steamed via Gibraltar and Toulon, France, to Italy, Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria, and Rumania. She departed Piraeus, Greece 26 May; operated out of Gibraltar 3 to 24 June; then continued via the Azores for the United States, arriving Norfolk 12 July. Lake Elizabeth decommissioned 25 July and was returned to the USSB the same day. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and scrapped.