Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Eliko

 

(Str: t. 1,432; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 21'; s. 9 k.; cpl. 52; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Eliko, a depot collier, was launched 4 July 1918 by American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, Ohio, under USSB contract; acquired by the Navy 4 September 1918; and commissioned the same day at Montreal, Lt. Comdr. Andrew Munkewitz, USNRF, In command.

 

Assigned to NOTS in European waters, she departed Montreal 7 September and arrived Brest, France, via Sydney, Nova Scotia, 5 October. Operating out of Cardiff, Wales, she carried coal from ports in the British Isles to coastal ports in France. Terminating her transchannel runs 8 months later, she departed Cardiff for the United States 13 June 1919 and reached Newport News, Va., 1 July. Lake Eliko decommissioned 8 July and was returned to USSB. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and scrapped.