Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Dancey

 

(Str: t. 1,407; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 21'2"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 52; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Dancey was launched 27 July 1918 by American Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis.; acquired by the Navy 28 October 1918; and commissioned the following day at Montreal, Canada, Lt. Comdr. Micheal Robb, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Lake Dancey departed Montreal 31 October 1918 to join collier operations in Europe. Based at Cardiff, Wales, she transported coal from the United Kingdom to French ports until 6 February 1919 when she was assigned to the U.S. Food Administration, for service in the massive effort to relieve the hunger-stricken of Europe. Lake Dancey carried food between Rotterdam and Danzig, Poland, during the next 6 months.

 

Departing Rotterdam 16 August, Lake Dancey arrived New York 2 September. She decommissioned there 9 September and was returned to the USSB for disposal. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and scrapped.