Counties in 12 States.
(LST-880: dp. 1,625; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'1"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 226; a. 8 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST-511)
LST-880 was laid down by Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co., Evansville, Ind., 6 November 1944; launched 16 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. L. H. Quigley; and commissioned at New Orleans, La., 9 January 1945, Lt. (jg.) James T. Connolly in command.
After shakedown off the Florida coast, LST-880 departed New Orleans for Hawaii 13 February. Steaming via the Panama Canal and the west coast, she reached Pearl Harbor 31 March. During the next 6 weeks she participated in training operations with Seabees before departing Pearl Harbor for the western Pacific 24 May. Carrying men and equipment of the 98th Construction Battalion, she sailed via the Marshalls and Marianas to Okinawa where she arrived 4 July. There she discharged men and cargo; and, after embarking combat veterans, she sailed for the Marianas 10 July. Steaming via Guam, she reached Saipan the 19th.
LST-880 sailed for the Solomon Islands 27 July. Arriving Russell Island 7 August, she operated among the Solomons during the final week of fighting in the Pacific. On the 19th she departed Guadalcanal for the Philippines. Upon arriving Samar 30 August, she operated in Leyte Gulf until 20 September when she sailed for Luzon. She reached Lingayen Gulf the 24th; and, after embarking occupation troops at San Fabian, Luzon, she sailed for Japan 26 September. Steaming in convoy she arrived Wakayama, Honshu, 7 October to support occupation landings in Japan.
Continuing her occupation duty, LST-880 departed Nagoya, Honshu, for the Philippines 27 October. She embarked more occupation troops at Lingayen Gulf, and from 11 to 18 November steamed to Sasebo, Kyushu, for further occupation duty. Departing Sasebo 23 November, she sailed for the Marianas where she arrived Saipan the 29th. She operated between Guam and Saipan until 18 December; then she sailed for Pearl Harbor. After touching at Eniwetok, Kwajalein, and Roi in the Marshalls, she arrived Pearl Harbor 8 January 1946. Departing 3 days later, she steamed to the west coast and arrived San Pedro Bay 22 January. Between 6 and 28 February, she sailed from San Pedro to New Orleans. She decommissioned there 1 October 1946 and was assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
Towed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., early in 1947, LST-880 transferred to Norfolk, Va., late in 1950. From May to August 1951 she served MSTS as a supply ship during the construction of military bases in the Arctic.
After returning to Norfolk, LST-880 recommissioned 20 August, Lt. Carl S. Cross in command. During the next 9 months she operated out of Norfolk while making supply runs along the east coast and to Cuba and Puerto Rico. Between 21 May and 5 June 1952 she steamed from Norfolk to Port Lyautey, French Morocco, to begin logistics operations in the western Mediterranean for the powerful 6th Fleet. During the next 6 months she carried supplies to ports in North Africa and steamed from Portugal to Italy while supporting peacekeeping and readiness operations in the Mediterranean. She departed Port Lyautey 11 November; reached Norfolk the 26th; and resumed supply runs out of Norfolk.
Logistics duty in 1953 sent her to the Caribbean, and she carried supplies to American bases in Cuba, Puerto Rico, and in the British West Indies from the Bahamas to Trinidad. Departing Norfolk 21 September, she sailed via Davisville, R.I., for North Africa and arrived Port Lyautey 9 October. After unloading supplies, she sailed four days later and returned to Norfolk 27 October.
LST-880 resumed logistics operations to island bases in the Atlantic and the Caribbean. During late August and early September 1954 she operated between Norfolk and Halifax, Nova Scotia, and during 1955 she made two additional runs to Halifax and Argentia, Newfoundland. Named Lake County 1July 1955, she continued supply runs primarily in the Caribbean from 1955 to 1958. Departing the Bahamas 10 February 1958, she arrived Norfolk the 13th. Lake County steamed to Charleston 29 August and decommissioned there 25 November. Declared unsuitable for further naval service, she was used as a target ship for destruction.