Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Conesus

 

A lake in west central New York, farthest west of the Finger Lakes.

 

(Str: t. 1,367; l. 251'; b. 43'6"; dr. 21'; s. 9.5 k.; cpl. 52; a. 1 3")

 

Lake Conesus was launched 13 June 1918 by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ecorse, Mich.; acquired by the Navy at Cardiff, Wales, 14 November 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. Charles H. Morgan, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Lake Conesus operated with the Army coal service sailing from Cardiff to French ports. She continued this service for 10 months, supplying American forces in Europe, until she departed Penarth, Wales, 13 September 1919. Arriving New 29 September, Lake Conesus decommissioned there 11 October 1919 and was returned to the USSB. She was sold to the Ford Motor Co. in 1926 and scrapped.