(Str: t. 2,026; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 17'9"; s. 9.5 k.; cpl. 52; a. 1 3")
Lake Capens, adepot collier, was built in 1918 by Superior Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis.; sailed under bareboat charter for the Army 15 June from Montreal, Canada, to Europe where she arrived Rochefort, France, 19 July; taken over by the Navy 16 October at Cardiff, Wales; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. Carlton L. Whitney, USNRF, in command.
Operating as a cross-channel collier, Lake Capens made coaling runs between British and French coastal ports for more than 10 months. On 26 August 1919 she departed Bordeaux, France, loaded with 1,559 tons of military cargo. Steaming via the Azores, she arrived New York 20 September; decommissioned 27 September; and was transferred to USSB the same day. She was sold in 1926 to John Barnett Waterman of Mobile, Ala., and transferred to Mobile, Miami & Gulf Steamship Co. the following year.