Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lake Bridge

 

(Str: t. gr. 1,984; l. 2611; b. 43'6"; dr. 18'6"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 52; a. 1 5", 1 3")

 

Lake Bridge, a mine carrier, was launched as War Rifle 17 October 1917 by Toledo Shipbuilding Co., Toledo, Ohio; acquired by the Navy 12 December 1917 on a bareboat charter; and commissioned at New York 16 February 1918, Lt. Cmdr. 0. W. Smith, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to coastal coaling runs, Lake Bridge departed Norfolk for Key West 21 February 1918. Following runs to Bermuda and Halifax, she loaded mines at Norfolk for transport to the United Kingdom. Departing 25 May, she sailed via Halifax and arrived Clyde, Scotland, 20 June with mines for the North Sea mine barrage. During the remainder of the year the mine carrier made two additional cruises from Norfolk to Scotland. While sailing to Scotland 5 July, she drove off German cruiser-submarine U-156 after a gun duel which lasted 30 minutes.

 

After returning to Norfolk 4 December, Lake Bridge cruised to Atlantic and Caribbean ports until July 1919, replenishing these areas with coal and gasoline. She arrived Hampton Roads, Va., 2 August and decommissioned there 5 August 1919 and was returned to USSB the same day. She was sold to the E. K. Wood Lumber Co. of San Francisco and renamed Cascade. In the early 1940ís she was sold to Cia Escandinara de Vapores and operated under Panamanian papers.