LST-550 was laid down on 13 November 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 9 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Henry D. Hoover; and commissioned on 10 April 1944, Lt. V. A. Meehan, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-550 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945.
Following the war, LST-550 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 13 January 1946. On 31 March 1952, the ship was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service and served as USNS LST-550 until struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1973.
LST-550 earned two battle stars for World War II service.