LST-549 was laid down on 4 January 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. E. A. Oberhuber; and commissioned on 5 April 1944.
During World War II, LST-549 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landings—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Following the war, LST-549 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 28 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 December 1947. On 23 May 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builder's, Inc., of Morris Heights, N.Y., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-549 earned four battle stars for World War II service.