LST-548 was laid down on 30 December 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 22 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Robert L. Koch; and commissioned on 3 April 1944.
During World War II, LST-548 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, LST-548 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 February 1946. On 31 March 1952, LST-548 was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service where she served as USNS LST-548. The tank landing ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 January 1960.
LST-548 earned two battle stars for World War II service.