LST-543 was laid down on 6 December 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Co.; launched on 1 February 1944; sponsored by Lt. (jg.) Helen C. Hanson, USNR; and commissioned on 6 March 1944, Lt. Robert F. Blake in command.
During World War II, LST-543 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-543 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early May 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 31 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 17 July 1947. On 5 December 1947, the ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines.
LST-543 earned two battle stars for World War II service.