LST-542 was laid down on 29 November 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 28 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Robert C. Dean; and commissioned on 29 February 1944.
During World War II, LST-542 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-542 saw service as a part of the Amphibious Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet. She was named Ckelan County (LST-542) after a county in Washington on 1 July 1955. The ship was decommissioned in 1956 and struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1959.
LST-542 earned one battle star for World War II service.
LST-822 in the early 1950s. Except for the addition of a high bridge, she is essentially unmodified from her original appearance. The LST-542-class was built with a water-distilling plant and heavier armament than the earlier LST-1 -class; this slightly decreased their payload.