LST-540 was laid down on 13 November 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 14 January 1944; sponsored by Ens. Elizabeth B. Mayer, USNR; and commissioned on 22 February 1944.
During World War II, LST-540 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945.
Following the war, LST-540 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She returned to the United States, and was decommissioned on 13 January 1946. The ship was transferred to Shipping Control Authority, Japan, where she was lost due to an operational accident on 20 August 1947. The tank landing ship was struck from the Navy list on 23 March 1949.
LST-540 earned two battle stars for World War II service.