LST-539 was laid down on 9 November 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 10 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Peyton Koch; and commissioned on 17 February 1944.
During World War II, LST-539 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movements of Convoy UGS-37 in April 1944 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-539 performed occupation duty in the Far East in October 1945 and saw service in China in December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 22 April 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-539 earned two battle stars for World War II service.