LST-538 was laid down on 29 October 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 5 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John W. Evans; and commissioned on 14 February 1944.
During World War II, LST-538 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movements of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States, and was struck from the Navy list on 26 February 1946 and decommissioned on 16 March that same year. On 5 December 1947, the ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines.
LST-538 earned two battle stars for World War II service.