LST-537 was laid down on 27 October 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 31 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Robert C. Dean; and commissioned on 9 February 1944.
During World War II, LST-537 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-537 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-January 1946. She returned to the United States, and was decommissioned on 29 May 1946 and transferred to the Republic of China. On 12 March 1948, the ship was struck from the Navy list.
LST-537 earned one battle star for World War II