LST-533 was laid down on 29 September 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 1 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. H. D. Peoples; and commissioned on 27 January 1944, Lt. C. E. Hanks in command.
During World War II, LST-533 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-533 performed occupation duty in Europe until early February 1953. She was named Cheboygan County (LST-533) on 1 July 1955 after a county in Michigan. The ship was decommissioned on 1 December 1955 and recom-missioned on 18 November 1961 and performed duties for the Service Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet. The tank landing ship was again decommissioned in May 1969 and struck from the Navy list on 15 September 1974.
LST-533 earned one battle star for World War II service.