LST-529 was laid down on 8 November 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 17 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret S. Carey; and commissioned on 29 February 1944, Lt. G. L. Moore, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-529 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. On 7 June 1946, she was decommissioned and, as a result of hostilities in Korea, recommissioned on 22 September 1950. She served in the Korean War and took part in the following campaigns:
U.N. Summer-Fall offensive—July and August 1951
Second Korean Winter—December 1951 through March 1952
Korea, Summer 1953—June and July 1953
Immediately following the Korean War, she continued to serve in the Korean area until July 1954. Following her Korean service, she returned to the United States. She was named Cayuga County (LST-529) after a county in New York on 1 July 1955. She was assigned as a logistic support ship for the Mariana and Bonin Islands in the late 1950's and remained there until transferred to the Republic of Vietnam on 17 December 1963.
LST-529 earned one battle star for World War II service and three battle stars for Korean service.