LST-527 was laid down on 23 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 3 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Bliss A. Fox; and commissioned on 17 February 1944, Lt. W. R. Hammock in command.
During World War II, LST-527 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. On 28 February 1945, she was decommissioned and, as a result of hostilities in Korea, recommissioned on 21 September 1950. She served in the Korean War and took part in the following campaigns :
Second Korean Winter—January and February 1952
Korea, Summer 1953—May and June 1953
Following her Korean service, she returned to the United States. She was named Cassia County (LST-527) after a county in Idaho on 1 July 1955. On 21 December 1956, the ship was decommissioned and struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1958. She was sunk as a target on 3 March 1959.
LST-527 earned one battle star for World War II service and two battle stars for Korean service.