LST-526 was laid down on 30 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 27 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Edna Heath Kimball; and commissioned on 17 February 1944.
During World War II, LST-526 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movements of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 21 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. On 24 January 1947, the ship was sold to Chester D. Bentliff, Lake Charles, La., for operation.
LST-526 earned two battle stars for World War II service.