Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-525

 

LST-525 was laid down on 18 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 20 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Anna Mae Federspiel; and comissioned on 14 February 1944, Ens. James R. Stevens in command.

 

During World War II, LST-525 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Convoy UGS-36—April 1944

Invasion of southern France—August and September 1944

 

Following the war, LST-525 was decommissioned on 25 June 1946. She was recommissioned in October 1950 and performed services for the Amphibious Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, until decommissioned on 15 September 1954. On 1 July 1955, she was named Caroline County (LST-525) after counties in Maryland and Virginia. Again reactivated in mid-1965, Caroline County provided support and resupply for riverine forces in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968. She was struck from the Navy list on 15 September 1974.

 

LST-525 earned two battle stars for World War II service and four battle stars and the Meritorious Unit Commendation for Vietnam service.