LST-524 was laid down on 4 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 13 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs.
Mildred M. Anderson; and commissioned on 9 February 1944, Ens. E. B. Dodge in command.
During World War II, LST-524 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, LST-524 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 4 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 21 May 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-524 earned two battle stars for World War II service.