LST-520 was laid down on 24 September 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 31 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Jane G. Gongaware; and commissioned on 28 February 1944, Lt. E. J. Charette in command.
During World War II, LST-520 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945.
Following the war, LST-520 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 13 January 1946 and transferred to Shipping Control Authority, Japan, for operation from 13 January 1946 to 31 March 1952. The tank landing ship was transferred to the Republic of China for operation on 1 October 1958 and struck from the Navy list that same day.
LST-520 received two battle stars for World War II service.