Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-511

 

LST-511 was laid down on 22 July 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 30 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. James V. Gaynor; and commissioned on 3 January 1944, Lt. John Yacevich in command.

 

During World War II, LST-511 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 19 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1946. On 17 February 1948, the ship was sold to the Anglo-Canadian Pulp & Paper Mills, Quebec, Canada, for operation.

 

LST-511 received one battle star for World War II service.