LST-510 was laid down on 27 September 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 30 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. P. Watson; and commissioned on 31 January 1944, Lt. G. P. Andrews in command.
During World War II, LST-510 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States and, on 1 July 1946, was decommissioned and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Buncombe County (LST-
510) after a county in North Carolina and was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958. LST-510 received one battle star for World War II service.