LST-509 was laid down on 7 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 23 November 1943; sponsored by Lt. (Jg.) Dorothy L. Nims, USCG(W) ; and commissioned on 20 January 1944, Lt. J. B. Malcom, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-509 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-509 returned to the United States and was redesignated Bullock County (LST-509) on 1 July 1955 after a county in Georgia. On 8 April 1970, the ship was decommissioned and leased to the Republic of Vietnam for service as Qui Nhon (HQ-504).
LST-509 earned one battle star for World War II