LST-506 was laid down on 19 August 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 4 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Frank Pigeon; and commissioned on 3 January 1944.
During World War II, LST-506 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, she returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 July 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 4 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Southern Trading Co., Philadelphia, Pa., for operation.
LST-506 earned one battle star for World War II