LST-504 was laid down on 21 July 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 19 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. J. Griffin; and commissioned on 18 December 1943.
During World War II, LST-504 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April and June 1945.
Following the war, LST-504 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-January 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 22 January 1946. The ship was redesignated Buchanan County (LST-504) on 1 July 1955 after counties in Iowa, Missouri, and Virginia. She was struck from the Navy list on 11 August 1955 and sunk as a target in February 1956.
LST-504 earned three battle stars for World War II