LST-503 was laid down on 29 July 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 8 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. David E. Eppley; and commissioned on 8 December 1943, Lt. Sam H. Jones, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-503 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-503 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 11 June 1946. She was transferred to the Republic of China on 4 April 1955 where she served as Chung Kuang (LST-216). The ship was struck from the Navy list on 25 April 1960.
LST-503 earned one battle star for World War II service.