LST-502 was laid down on 18 June 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 25 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph Bronaugh; and commissioned on 8 December 1943.
During World War II, LST-502 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945.
Following the war, LST-502 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 4 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 December 1947. On 20 May 1948, she was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-502 earned three battle stars for World War II